Corgi BR A4 Class ‘Dwight D Eisen Hower’ 60008 the Great Gathering
or 4 fortnightly payments of $13.24 with More info
Golden Shuttle No. 4496 entered traffic in September 1937 in the LNER Garter Blue livery.
Throughout the Second World War No. 4496 was painted in wartime black as were the majority of locomotives and on LNER locomotives they also removed the ‘L’ and the ‘R’ leaving ‘NE’. It has sometimes been believed that this was done to confuse spies but also to reduce the materials and labour needed to maintain the locomotive. After the war it was re-liveried in Garter Blue and re-named ‘Dwight D Eisenhower’.
In 1948 British Railways re-numbered the locomotive as No. 60008 and in November 1951 the livery was changed to BR Brunswick Green. Withdrawn from service in July 1963 the locomotive was cosmetically restored and shipped to the USA as a permanent exhibit at the National Railroad Museum. In October 2012 locomotive ‘Dwight D Eisenhower’ travelled back to the UK to take part in ‘Mallard 75 – A4 Gathering’ at the National Railway Museum in York